Now that the cross-country jetlag has subsided, we’re just coming to terms with the enormous success of the SCAA conference. Grounds for Health sent a strong crew from Vermont, including relatively new team members and coffee-industry-newbies, Development Director Jane Dale and yours truly. Our Office Manager Brendan Dudley-Downs put together a smashing reception that communicated the spirit and power of what Grounds for Health is achieving.
On each table at the reception, we placed all the materials it takes to prevent cervical cancer: cotton, vinegar, a good light, and 25¢. Executive Director August Burns then gave a heartfelt speech describing what we’ve accomplished and the excitement for what lies ahead. Her message did not fall on deaf ears.
Rather than bore you with a minute-by-minute recount, here are a few of the highlights from the entire conference:
- Monin showing their unending support with a special iPad promotion, a $20,000 check and CEO Bill Lombardo’s speech at our reception
- Rocky Rhodes blazing a new trail for the Grounds for Health Coffee Auction, forging a partnership with Coffee Quality Institute to have all donated coffee Q-Graded
- Interim Development Director Jane Dale attending the Coffee Symposium for a whirlwind introduction to the coffee industry and its sustainable values
- Great support at La Chocolatada – thanks to all those at Cafe Femenino and Cup for Education for making it possible!
- Volunteers Sylvia Estrada, N.P. and Debbi Lebo, M.D. spreading the word at our booth
- Ed Humpal from Kimberton Whole Foods showing his support with his presence and helping hand
- Rekindling connections with longtime partners and colleagues such as Coffee Kids
- Our most successful reception ever – large turnout, engaging presentations, and great energy
Thank you to all those who came by our booth, attended our reception, wore our lapel pins, and put in a good word for Grounds for Health. Your support makes everything we do possible.
Let’s harness this positive energy and momentum, so we can achieve great things before we meet again next year in Houston. Thank you from all of us at Grounds for Health.