The Executive Director provides visionary, knowledge-based, strategic leadership for effective implementation of Grounds for Health’s mission and goals. To do so, the Executive Director will work in collaboration with the people GFH serves, the Board of Directors, and all employees, volunteers, and partners. S/he leads GFH in developing the knowledge, infrastructure, culture, and competencies necessary to grow as an internationally respected organization. The Executive Director is responsible for all programs, services, and personnel, and ensures GFH’s efficient operation within the approved budget. The position demands a passion for global health, a commitment to working towards a vision of health in partnership with communities, and a desire to contribute to the growth and success of the organization.
Overall Strategic Vision and Leadership:
- Collaborate with the Board to implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with Grounds for Health’s core mission
- Provide inspirational leadership and direction to all staff members, and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization
- Remain current in best practice in global health to inspire and direct program team in program development and implementation.
Financial Management and Revenue Generation (30% time)
- Oversee the financial status of the organization including developing long and short range financial plans, monitoring the budget, and setting fundraising goals and financial priorities
- In collaboration with Development Director, ensure development and implementation of the fundraising strategic plan, including the stewardship of funders
- Be the face of Grounds for Health and use external presence and relationships to develop and nurture new funders
- Seek funding through creative avenues. This includes traditional fundraising and donor engagement, contribute to the writing and securing of grants from charitable foundations, pursuing corporate sponsorship, public partnership, social enterprise models, special events, etc.
- Ensure timely reporting to program funders and other key stakeholders
Program Support (25% time)
- Spearhead strategic and long-term planning for programmatic growth and impact
- Oversee the design, implementation, evaluation, and growth of all programs to ensure quality, sustainability, and responsiveness to community and organizational needs. These efforts are directly managed by staff, which the Executive Director supports in fulfilling their responsibilities.
- Ensure programs are aligned with best practice in global health by upholding monitoring and evaluation frameworks, and effectively utilizing data and outcomes to inform program decisions and design. Communicate results the Board, funders, and other constituents
Advocacy, Policy and Communications (20% time)
- Oversee development of strategic plan for advocacy
- Represent Grounds for Health at international meetings, conferences and events to advance progress on cervical cancer prevention globally
- Be an external local, national, and international leader by publishing and communicating program results as a model for other regional and international efforts
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications with the goal of creating a stronger brand
Board Administration and Support
- Serve as the primary organizational liaison to the Board of Directors by advising and informing Board members and interfacing between the Board and staff
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board to ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against stated milestones and goals
- In partnership with the Board Chair, help build a diverse and inclusive Board, representative of both the coffee and international public health communities, that is highly engaged and committed to leveraging and securing resources
Human Resource Management:
- Hire, develop and retain Grounds for Health’s staff
- Help to create an environment that supports the personal and professional growth of staff resulting in a high functioning, results oriented team
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration by strengthening internal communications in support of the organization’s strategy, operational methods, and data collection needs
- Engage regularly in effective communication with staff to insure high performance and commitment to the goals of Grounds for Health
- Master’s degree in Public Health, International Development or related field
- At least five to ten years senior management experience in international public health and development programs including field experience in low-resource countries
- Track record of effectively leading a high performance, outcomes-based organization
- Experience and excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Proven record of collaboration and partnership-building for programmatic success.
- Demonstrated knowledge of low-resource specific, international health, education and public policy issues
- Spanish language proficiency
- Understanding of the field of cervical cancer and ability to effectively communicate the issue
- Clinical skills and experience a plus including familiarity and comfort with medical publications and statistics
- Proven track record in fundraising and grant writing including strong marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Background in coffee a plus
- Experience working successfully with a Board of Directors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with excellent interpersonal skills, cultural competency, and ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across constituencies.
- Independent, open-minded, innovative, and motivated to develop and execute long-term goals.
- Ability to travel 20-30%
Please send a cover letter and resume, including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.